During the Peasant War (1525) and the Swedish occupation (1632 –1634), the abbey library was strongly decimated. Since 1856 the court library has been the home of approximately 35,000 volumes.
The library was built before 1790 by the architect Ignaz Neumann in the so-called “Amorbacher Braid Style”. It is considered to be one of the most distinguished and most beautiful libraries of the 18th century.
The interior decoration of the library began with the ceiling in 1790. The artist, Mr. Konrad Huber, painted the ceiling
showing the different sciences as women.